8.26.2008

"Supping" with God

I bet that you have seen this picture or one like it before. It is based on Revelation 3:20 where Jesus says,

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me" (King James Version).
Now, I know many people focus on the first part of that verse where Jesus talks about standing at the door and knocking. It is no secret that though I strongly believe in evangelism, but I believe this verse is taken out of context by many to share the Gospel with people. That's not what is on my mind today. Today, I want to look at that whole verse and what happened at our house last night.

I was on my way to Subway last night from seminary classes thinking about how I could spend more time on building my family up and being the spiritual leader for them that I have been called to be. I was picking up some dinner for me and Naomi when this verse came into my head. I began to meditate on this verse as a whole... then it clicked! Jesus was telling the church that He wanted to come in and live life (all of life's experiences) with them like a family member. I have been looking for creative ways to lead my family (see the entry about family ministry). God gave me a great idea: why not just talk with God (prayer) while we eat dinner.

I realize that for some people to pray in any other position besides "heads bowed, eyes closed" is a sin. I'm sorry, but I don't see it that way. So last night while munching on some Subway sandwiches, me and Naomi talked with God (prayed). It was a little awkward at first, but I will say this, I don't think that I've ever been more focused in prayer. It was just like having dinner with some friends and sharing our lives with them. I think we truly got the picture of what Revelation 3:20 was saying.

1 comments:

Christy said...

That's a really cool thought. I often talk to God throughout the day w/o my head bowed and eyes closed. Don't know that I've ever talked to Him as a family during dinner, though. It's something to consider. Tell Naomi 'hey' for me. I was just thinking about her the other day.