12.16.2008

Things That Make You Go... "Ugh!"

This morning I talked with a good friend of mine who is also a student pastor.  We have been friends for a long time and shared our experiences and life together.  When I asked how things were going at his church, he dropped one of those bombs on me.  He said that 15 members of his church had left the church because they had welcomed 3 young people in who had received Christ as Savior and wanted to be baptized.  You may be thinking, "why in the world would they do that?"  It appears to be over the fact that they were of a different race than the rest of the congregation.

Are you kidding me?  There's just some things in life that I completely don't understand.  Racism is one of them.  What more I don't understand is that how people who claim to follow Jesus can harbor these feelings towards the ones that Christ loved so much.  I know that some people were raised in a "different generation," but some things don't change.  Christ died for the world.  That means all races.  I know that there may be some cultural differences between different races, but Christ is the Lord of all.

As I fume over this situation, I'm reminded of Jesus Christ's prayer in John 17 for us today:

My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as You and I are one, Father - that just as You are in me and I am in You, so they will believe in us, and the world will believe You sent Me.

I must applaud this church that went through this.  They welcomed those young people in and are sharing the love of Christ with them.  I can't wait to see how God blesses them through these tough times.

0 comments: