2.27.2009

Philosophy

I am currently taking a course in seminary called "Philosophy of Religion."  For the past week or so, I have been doing a lot of work with it.  While it has to do with a lot of reading (especially articles with many words I don't even know how to pronounce), it has raised some good questions in my mind.

Can faith and reason coincide?  There are many who think that for one to have reason and try to have an explanation for everything, that nullifies faith.  Then there are those that say that for one to have faith you must chunk reason out the window. I have come to realize that I disagree with these statements/beliefs.  I do believe faith and reason can live together in the same household.

While it is true that "the faith shall live by faith" (Habakkuk 2:4/Romans 1:17), the Bible also tells us to "Love the LORD with all our hearts, mind, soul, and strength" (Deuteronomy 6:5/Matthew 22:37).  Without faith, we are not going to see nor please God.  Faith is the beginning of our relationship with Him.  But God has blessed humans with a great gift: the mind.  He intends it to be used to communicate our faith with others and bring Him glory.

Any thoughts?

0 comments: