9.26.2009

Book Review: "Love and Respect"

This was the latest book that I got from Thomas Nelson Publishers to review.  I had heard about this book from different people that it was a good work on the different needs of men and women in relationships.  My wife had mentioned it to me also, so I decided to check it out.  Here's what I came away with...

Good Points


  • Dr. Eggerichs used some very common language that can easily be understood.  Though there was a lot of psychology in this book, it did feel more like it was you and the author sitting down somewhere talking.

  • Great suggestions.  Eggerichs puts forth some great suggestions to help meet the emotional needs of your spouse (both for men and women).  The COUPLES and CHAIRS segments were really good and gives the reader something to put into practice.

  • Good use of Scripture.  Throughout the work, Scripture is used (and in context).  It doesn't surprise me much seeing how Dr. Eggerichs is a former pastor.  It was good to see a work out there that is saturated with God's word getting so much attention.

  • The great motivation.  The principles of unconditional love and unconditional respect are to be carried out not because the person deserves it but because Christ Jesus said that is what we should do.  I thought that this was good (and just like a pastor) to save this little nugget until the very end.


Not So Good Parts

  • Repetition.  I thought that I was never going to get through the first seven chapters.  They seemed to be saying the same thing chapter after chapter.  I thought that they could have been condensed into one good chapter and said the same thing.  Once I got passed this seven chapter intro, the rest was pretty easily navigated.

  • Infomercial-like at times.  I like the testimonies from people who had been to the "Love and Respect" Conferences that Dr. Eggerichs and his wife do.  But at times there were so many that it started to sound like a late-night infomercial.


Overall

Overall, I thought that this was a good book that really addressed the different emotional needs of men and women.  I would recommend it to couples to help understand why sometimes things are seen differently.  I would give this book a "B".

0 comments: