12.03.2009

Classic Rock Devotion

bonjoviI was driving back to the house today to enjoy some Subway lunch that I had picked up and was flipping through the radio stations when I came upon the classic rock station in town (yeah, baby).  Bon Jovi' s "You Give Love A Bad Name" was blaring from my speakers.  It has been a while since I heard that little tune.  As I listened along, my mind began to hang on the chorus of that song...

Shot through the heart and you're to blame
you give love a bad name.

It is times like this that I know that I am what the Bible calls a Christian because the Holy Spirit began speaking to me about how this chorus relates to God.  I know that Jon Bon Jovi had anything but God on his mind when he wrote/performed that song, but God was having a moment with me.

  • 1 John 4:16 tells us that "God is love."

  • Acts 11:26 says that the followers of Jesus were first called 'Christians' in Antioch.  This term means "little Christ" or "like Christ".


If God is love, and we are His representatives and supposed to look like Him, the question that arose in my mind is "are we giving LOVE a bad name?"  Whether we like it or not, a Christ-follower is the clearest picture of who God is on this earth at this time.  May it never be said of us that we are giving LOVE (our God) a bad name.

0 comments: