11.25.2010

Truly Thankful

As I sit here early on Thanksgiving morning reading the Word of God, I come across some verses that I've read many times before.

Don't be deceived, my dear brothers.  Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.  He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
~ James 1:16-18 NIV

It is so true that we are a blessed people here in the United States of America.  How many of us woke up in a warm bed?  How many of us will stuff our faces later today with food abundant?  How many of us have clothes on our backs? But let us not be fooled into thinking that these blessings have come from our hard work, determination, education, or pedigree.  As James reminds us, they all come from our Heavenly Father.

In the short time that I've been here at the laptop typing this, I have been reminded just how blessed I am: a great family - wonderful wife & awesome boys, health, food to eat, place to lay my head, clothes for my back, time to spend with loved ones, and so much more.

As we go about Thanksgiving 2010, we will no doubt be reminded of all the "good and perfect gifts" that have been given to us.  Let's make sure that as we're thankful for them, that we give that thankful praise to the true One who has provided them to us, Jesus Christ.

0 comments: