2.14.2012

Teaching Opportunity

Today is Valentine's Day. The day that sends men into a spin of trying to find that perfect gift for that special someone in their lives. For me, I always spend too much time thinking (and second guessing) gift ideas. I don't want to just do the same old thing. I certainly don't want to get Naomi the same gift many years in a row. I want it to be special. I want it to communicate that I actually put some thought into it.

This Valentine's Day has been very different. With funds being extremely tight, I knew that I wasn't going to be able to go all out. My schedule has not worked well with me in being able to get away and search for the perfect gift. I haven't even had the time to "make a gift" because I have been around Naomi most of my free time.

Today, the opportunity opened. I took a check to deposit at the bank and had some "study time" before our oldest son's Valentine's party at his preschool. I stopped by a store that I knew had some things and got two items: a card and 3 red roses.

20120214-162727.jpg

The card was from me. It is amazing how some of these card writers can say what I'm thinking much clearer than I can get it out. It did have a spot for me to write a personal note to my bride.

The roses were for another reason. I got 3 red roses, one for each of our boys to give to their mother. I wanted to make sure that I started teaching our boys to honor their mother. These three boys that God has blessed us with are watching me to see how to respect, honor, and show affection to their mother (and other females).

The question rings in my head: what example are my boys seeing through me in how to relate to females?

0 comments: