3.16.2012

Ready For A Routine

Routines are typically not a good thing... or so I thought.  After 10+ years in student ministry, I had the thought that routines were something that led to stagnation.  If you ever just do the same ol' thing in student ministry, it won't take long for that ministry to grow stale and lose steam.  Routines were something that I looked to stay away from as much as possible.

Somewhere along the way, my viewpoint on routines changed.  I still believe that if you set up something and just figure that it will function correctly forever that you are deceived in a major way.  Even the best routines need adjusting and tweaking at times.  I believe that the change in viewpoint came along when children began coming into our family.  If you are a parent of one or more children 4 years old and younger, then you know what I'm talking about. You find yourself like me the other day, "Oh, just to be able to see a normal routine in life again."

With all of the changes that have been going on in our family and ministry, I have not had a "routine" in some time... and it is beginning to show.  I've learned that routines in life are very beneficial because they help build momentum.  Momentum is important during those times of difficulty or stress.  They can help keep the wheels of your life from getting bogged down in the mud and muck that life sometimes takes us through.

This next week should be the beginning of our new family and ministry routine.  I'm so excited and ready to get a routine in place where we can start building some momentum.  We are going to need it because the path that lies ahead of us will call us to invade the kingdom of darkness for cause of Christ.

0 comments: