4.25.2012

Remembering Dreams

This past Monday, I was at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary for my classes.  In between my two classes that day, I ran into an old friend.  She was at the seminary with her mother working on her doctoral work.  We had gone to undergrad together at Blue Mountain College back in the day.  After our run-in and short catching up, I began to dwell on our days at BMC.

We were a part of something great.  It was known as "Disciple's Cross".  It was the first praise band that Blue Mountain College had as a ministry.  We worked out of our campus ministries program.  It was a great time.  I spent two years with this praise band.  The first year, I played bass guitar.  My last year, I played "lead" guitar (really nothing more than distortion).  I thought about the long practices of trying to bring all the members together on the same page in that old abandoned roller skating rink on campus that is now the "Johnnie Armstrong Gal-ry".  I thought about the weeks spent in prayer with the band mates over what the name of  the group should be.

This trip down memory lane was good because for a long time during my teenage years, I had a dream of being in a Christian band one day.  I dreamed about touring the country, taking the Gospel to people of all ages and enjoying some fun along the way.  I have always enjoyed music.  Being a part of that praise band in college for two years and going all over Mississippi and Memphis, TN was a dream come true.

I am so grateful that God allowed me to see one of my dreams come true.  It was good times and a lot of fun for the most part.  But one thing I realized was that though it was fun and God allowed me to partake in it, being part of a band was not what I was created for.  God has shown me that I was to preach and teach His Word to people.

I've learned that sometimes God will allow us to experience our dreams to show us that even our dreams are so far beneath what could be.  Just think about this...

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways.” This is the LORD’s declaration. “For as heaven is higher than earth, so My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.   (Isaiah 55:8-9 HCSB)

Now to Him who is able to do above and beyond all that we ask or  think according to the power that works in us— to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.  (Ephesians 3:20-21 HCSB)

We too many times settle for the small dreams that we can come up with on our own.  God has a plan for our lives that is so much more than we could ever imagine.  We can experience that "God-sized dream" when we truly trust Jesus Christ and allow Him to lead our paths.

Who are you letting determine the size of your dreams?  

0 comments: