6.10.2012

One Thing I'd Change About Eternity

As I think about eternity there are many things that I am looking forward to: a new body that will not have to battle sickness or death, meeting saints of old, seeing loved ones again, and mostly seeing Jesus face to face. There are so many things that would make one long for eternity.

With all these great things, there is one thing still I would change. I know that heaven will be perfect because it is created that way by God. If He were to ask me about it, this one thing I'd change. What is this one thing?

I would change the relationships in heaven. According to Jesus, there will not be relationships as we know them here on earth (Luke 20:34-35). My wife, Naomi, will not be my wife in heaven. My sons would not be my sons in heaven.

20120610-153331.jpg

I have to be honest that this thought does not make me happy. I love my wife and boys more than anyone on the face of this earth. I cannot imagine relating to them in other way than I currently do. But according to the Scripture mentioned above, eternity will change our relationship.

With Father's Day just around the corner, I've been thinking about what this means for today. If the relationship I have with my wife and sons will change in eternity, then I've only got one shot at it. There's only one shot to be the husband I'm supposed to be to Naomi. There's only one shot to be the father I'm supposed to be to my three wonderful boys. This is the thought that came to me: I'd better make the most of it and give it all I got now because there's only one shot.

I cannot change the truth that we will not have spouses or children in heaven. That's God's call. I do have a say in these relationships now though. Here on earth I am a husband and father. I had better make the most of these moments now because they will never come again.

How would you do relationships differently if you knew this was your one shot with them?

2 comments:

Candy S said...

I don't know if I would do relationships differently, but I would say that we should never take our relationships for granted. The Lord puts people in our lives truly for His purpose. For that reason, He works on us and through us, as we build relations. Looking at the present and looking forward to eternity, I am sure that God knows what is best for us. It may not always feel like it or look like it, but it is...

Anthony said...

Thanks Candy for the response. I agree that we can't take our relationships in this life for granted.