11.26.2012

Insights From An Impromptu Playdate

20121127-091028.jpg
Yesterday, as I was getting ready for what I knew would be a very long day, my 5 year old comes up to me, grabs my hand and leads me to his bedroom without saying a word. When we get to his bedroom, he stops, turns around, looks up at me and says, "Daddy, will you play with me?"

What do you say to that??? Those blue eyes just looking and waiting for an answer. I will tell you what you do: you play!

I knew that there were many things that I needed to do yesterday, but none of them were so important that I had to let my boy down. As we played with Batman action figures, I felt the Holy Spirit speaking some insights to my heart.

  • Don't get too busy to play with your boys. I shared recently in a sermon with the church I serve that the greatest way to spell love is T-I-M-E. Sure there are things that need to be done and responsibilities to take care of, but if you have so many that you can't play with your children then you have too many!

  • Now you're feeling a little of God's heart. For some reason, those Batman figures that would have held my attention for hours on end many moons ago were not so special. What was special was that my boy took me by the hand, pulled me aside and wanted to spend time just with me. For a moment, I shared the heart of God when His children take Him by the hand and say, "how about some just You and me time?" How it thrills His heart when we give Him undivided attention. He doesn't need it but still is blessed by it.


  • Be alert and ready for the lessons that may come your way today in the most casual and ordinary ways. The God who adores you is trying to speak to you. Will you hear him?

    0 comments: