11.21.2012

Remembering To Be Thankful

It's once again that time of the year here in the United States of America.  It's time for the family to get together, munch on some good food, and make memories... oh, and be thankful, too.  Isn't that how it goes more times than not?  Our thankfulness comes as an afterthought?

One of the ways I minister in my community is to be part of a chaplain program at the local hospital.  Once or twice a month, I go in and share a devotion with the staff members and visit with patients.  The Lord had laid on my heart to share with the staff members about the 10 lepers that were healed by Jesus (Luke 17:11-19).  Here 10 men suffering from a terrible disease called out to Jesus from a distance for relief and healing.  Jesus told them to go show themselves to the priests and along the way, they were healed.  Only one returned to Jesus to simply say, "thank you."

I feel that I am much like the 9 men in this story.  I find myself so blinded by my blessings that I forget to stop and give thanks to where it is due.  You know it is shame when a secular country has to create a national holiday to remind us to be thankful.  Did the blessings in my life come from me or my hard work?  It doesn't take much to realize that any good thing within me came from only one source, the gracious God of the universe (James 1:17).

As you gather together this week with family and friends, take time to remember where the many, many blessings in your life have come from - the Heavenly Father.  May we not be blinded by our blessings, but truly thankful and busy expressing our thanks to Him.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

0 comments: