12.12.2012

Joy to the World

20121211-173814.jpg

This past Sunday, I preached the third message in our Advent series at New Life Fellowship. The topic of the day was joy. The text was Luke 2:8-20.

I'll be honest... I didn't think it was one of my best sermons.  There are just some sermons that I come away from and say, "Now that was a good one."  This was not one of those.  Before I get jumped about the evaluating of sermons and all, I know that it is the work of the Holy Spirit that is important.  I do my best to make sure that I present God's word clearly and not stand in the Holy Spirit's way.  With that said, there are still some times that I come away apologizing to the Holy Spirit saying, "Sorry I didn't help more."

Even with me not feeling that this past sermon was not one of the best I've had the privilege of giving, I haven't been able to get away from the main points of it.  I thought that I would share the basic outline with those who weren't there (and those who were) and maybe the Holy Spirit will use it to encourage you as He has me this week.

The Great Joy


  • This great joy is made available to all people by a loving God.  In Luke 2:10, the angel told the shepherds that the good news of great joy was for all people.  This was not just for the "do-gooders" or even Israel.  It was good news because a great joy was now here for everyone... every man, woman, boy, and girl.  God had not withheld anything back.  

  • This great joy is found in a person: Jesus Christ.  Luke 2:11 is the message of the angel: "A Savior who is the Messiah the Lord is born!"  The great joy that God would provide would not come through any drug, drink, hobby, or program.  It is a person.  The person.  Jesus Christ.  Why look to other things to bring joy into our lives when it is found only in the One who created us (Colossians 1:16)?

  • The great joy is one that is inviting.  What's the point in having some great news and not sharing?  Didn't your mama teach you to share?  In Luke 2:15-16, we see the shepherds are answering the invitation God has given to come and see this "bundle of joy."  God has sent an invitation out to come and experience this joy that He has shared.  As His children, Christians should make it a priority to share the only source of joy with others so that they may experience it as well.


Well... that's it in a nutshell.

0 comments: