11.21.2013

Give Thanks Day 21

20131118-084041.jpg

As I sit here in my office thinking of the many things that I am thankful for, the one that rises to the top of the pile this morning is second chances.

NES resetThere have been so many times in my life when I have needed a second chance... a redo... I cannot count the times when I wish that life would be like those old Nintendo Entertainment Centers.  You remember those, don't you?  They had the "power" and the "reset" button. When things didn't go as you planned, all you had to do was reach over and push that "reset" button and it's a brand new start.

Well, life doesn't have a "reset" button.  When we blow it, we blow it.  That ground is very difficult to gain back once it's gone.  But that does not stop God from taking us in and still doing His amazing work in and through us.  He brings us to Himself - warts, failures, and all - and makes us into a new creation.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, and look, new things have come. (2 Corinthians 5:17 HCSB)

God doesn't just throw us away when we fall short.  He brings us to the point of knowing where we failed and then moving past it.  He never promises us that He will give us a second chance at all the things that we didn't do so well at the first time.  But the amazing thing is that He does sometimes.  He doesn't have to, but He does.

I'm grateful for people who know the Lord and have experienced this in their walk with Him.  They are the ones that are more apt to extend that grace to others.  Lord knows that I need it... from my wife... from my sons... from the church I pastor... from friends... the list could go on and on.

Though no one is entitled to a second chance, I am so grateful to our gracious God for taking the initiative in this and starting this great trend that has been going for quite a while now.

 

0 comments: