11.27.2013

Give Thanks Day 27

20131121-220836.jpg

Today, I would like to express my gratitude for seminary training in ministry.  I am heading towards the final stretch of this 7-year journey that I call seminary.  I have enjoyed most of my time at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.

As I look back over the past 7 years, I am so glad that I have taken this journey.  I can remember that spring day in 2001, when I was eating lunch in my college's student union building.  I was minding my own business when a man stopped and asked if he could join me for lunch.  As I looked up, it was Dr. Chuck Kelley - president of New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary - who was at our college speaking at a campus revival.  I asked him a very serious question over lunch: "Do I really have to go to seminary?"  He smiled and answered, "NO. If God isn't leading you, then you shouldn't."  I'll never forget that day.  There was urging from our college's Bible professors for all of us "preacher boys" to go on to seminary.  I was tired of school.

After a six year layout, I felt God prodding my heart to go to seminary.  God tends to know just the right time for everything.  I began my journey at NOBTS in January of 2007.  The skills, knowledge, and friends that I have gained from this experience I wouldn't trade for anything.  They have made me the pastor and person I am today.

So, to you NOBTS, I say thank you (and hopefully this coming May - see ya!).

0 comments: