7.13.2009

Are You Ready?

This past weekend, I joined together with other members from our faith fellowship in passing flyers about our VBS this week out in the community.  Along the way, we stumbled upon some Jehovah's Witnesses.  I know that the most common response to these people is to run and hide... not me.  For a while now, I have greatly welcomed the contact of this group and others who are contrary to the Christian faith.  I asked them about what they were doing and was told that they were looking for people who would be interested in doing a "bible study" with them.  I had to jump in the conversation.  I started asking what they would be teaching.  When the subject of Jesus came up, I camped out there.  After a good while, they realized that they were making no headway with me nor was I with them.  We swapped contact information and agreed to get together at another time to discuss questions.

This got me to thinking about a passage of Scripture: "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander" (1 Peter 3:15-16 NIV).

I began to wonder how many people who say that they are believers and followers of Jesus are truly ready to give "an answer to everyone"?  As I said earlier, many people look to run the other way when people of different faiths approach them.  I do not believe that we need to go looking for an argument (something that I can easily fall victim to), but I do think that we can see that we have no reason to run away.  Some may say that they cannot explain it or answer all of the questions that arise.  The truth is it's not about having all of this knowledge from classes or books... it's about sharing the very thing that has transformed (and is continuing to transform) your life.

I want to encourage you, if you are a believer and follower of Jesus Christ, don't run away or hide.  Rather, shine brightly and share the Good News of Jesus with anyone and everyone that wonders what's inside of you!

0 comments: