12.03.2008

Speaking at Parkway Baptist Church

Tonight, I will be traveling to speak at Parkway Baptist Church in Houston, MS.  This was a church that I attended a little during my first year of college.  I am anxious to see what God has been doing there in the past ten years (gosh, has it been that long?).  I am looking forward to seeing some people that I haven't seen in years.  My heart is torn though because I'm not going to be with my own kids tonight.  I'm okay with it  though because our pastor is speaking to them.

I feel that it is very important to have the pastor in front of the students frequently.  So many times I see that the students in a church realize that the senior pastor is "the big guy on Sunday mornings" but seldom do they see him as "their pastor".  That title seems to fall to the youth pastor.  While we (youth pastors) are the ones that work the closest with students, it is important that they see the senior pastor as their pastor, too.  If the senior pastor is going to have to stand before Jesus and give an account for how he led the entire church (including the student ministry), shouldn't we help him?  I have committed to getting our senior pastor in front of the students, on their turf (youth worship service) a couple times a year.

What's your thoughts?

0 comments: