8.10.2009

What's In A Name?

I was talking to my summer intern a couple days ago before his time was up and he mentioned that he liked the name of my blog here. He asked about where it came from. I suddenly realized, I have never posted why in the world I chose this title for my blog. I thought that today I might shed a little light on that subject.

I am a student pastor full-time at FBC Birmingham, Alabama. For most of my Christian life, I have heard the joke that if you don't know an answer to a question asked (maybe in Sunday School or during Bible study) then remember that "Jesus is the answer!" I have never been content to just settle with that cop-out answer. Honestly, that frustrates me greatly.

The more I pondered this thought, I realized that even in my own life there were times when I answered a question with a "Sunday School answer." These are those answers that you know the word that goes in the blank because you've been in church for so long, but you don't know the meaning nor the impact of that answer. I believe that it was after hearing someone mention this phrase (No Sunday School Answers) that it really clicked that not only do I need to be prepared to give an answer for the reason for the hope that I have (1 Peter 3:15), but I also need to really know what the answer is.

I realize that I don't have all the answers to people's questions.  I don't even have the answers to all of my questions.  But one thing that I am committed to is that the answers I give and base my life on are not just those that can fill a blank, but rather they can fill my life.  Now maybe we can all sleep a little easier knowing the reason behind the name.

0 comments: