9.18.2013

Dollar Store Rescue

lightsabersEarlier this week, I was out getting some things that we need for our oldest son's birthday party this coming weekend.  It's hard to believe that he is going to be 6 years old!  We are planning a Star Wars birthday party for him because that's the flavor of his taste right now.  I am looking forward to this.

My wife (the creative one) has come up with some cool ideas for this party.  One involves using pool noodles as light sabers.  I'm really looking forward to this.  The only problem that we face is that it is past Labor Day, and most places have put their swimming toys up until next summer.  I had gone to our local go-to place (Wal-Mart), but they had already gotten rid of them.  I was a little bummed.  Okay, I was a lot bummed.  I really want my son to have the best birthday party.

I left that store and stopped by the bank to deposit some money (always a good thing).  After I got done, I realized that our bank shared a parking lot with a dollar store.  I decided to step in and see if they might have something that could be used.  Wouldn't you know it?  There were 5 blue and 5 green pool noodles... on sale... for a quarter a piece.  Exactly what I needed for under $3.

As I loaded the pool noodles into my vehicle, I began to think about all the times that I get frustrated because things do not go the way I want or think they should the first time.  I'm not sure why, but I frequently have to be reminded not to jump in front of God and His plans.  If we will just listen to Him and follow as He leads, things would go a lot smoother.  He is the Good Shepherd (John 10:7-18).  He is Sovereign (1 Timothy 6:15-16).

Just because the first time does not "work" or "go as it's supposed to," it doesn't mean that you're on the wrong track.  It might be that the timing is wrong.  Were we supposed to have pool noodle light sabers at our son's birthday party?  Yes.  Were we supposed to buy them from Wal-Mart?  No.  God was actually helping us save a little money to use towards something else, and we get to play with pool noodle light sabers!

What ways are you or have you been tempted to jump in front of God?

0 comments: